since the introduction and planting of genetically modified soybeans were approved in China, the safety of genetically modified soybeans has aroused heated discussion among the public. So far, people have no clear understanding of genetically modified food, but hybrid rice, the representative work of hybrid technology, has already entered our
> what is hybridization?
hybridization is a widely used crop breeding method in the world. Almost all the existing crops are derived from hybridization. As we all know, hybrid rice is actually the most successful model of hybrid technology. Hybrid rice refers to the selection of two kinds of rice which are different in genetic characters, and their excellent characters can complement each other. They are hybridized to produce the first generation hybrid varieties with Heterosis for production and planting.
What is transgenic?
transgenic is to produce new varieties by gene implantation from two or more unrelated organisms. In fact, transgene violates the natural genetic law of organisms, because it changes the genetic factors in organisms. Genetically modified organisms can no longer produce hybrid offspring, and can only rely on human help to breed.
just because transgenic technology violates the natural growth law of organisms, its development is not as smooth as hybridization, which has caused worldwide controversy. Supporters believe that transgenic technology improves biological quality, increases crop yield and reduces costs, which is a progress in agricultural production. Opponents believe that the advantages and disadvantages of genetically modified food on the natural environment and human health still need to be further demonstrated. If it has significant damage, it will bring irreparable disaster to human beings.
tips: there is no clear conclusion on whether genetically modified food is a blessing or a curse. Therefore, up to now, there is no country in the world to completely promote genetically modified food. For genetically modified food, in addition to the government’s strict supervision, it also requires businesses to make clear the labeling of genetically modified food. At the same time, it also hopes that those who are keen on promoting genetically modified food will keep rational and treat genetically modified food correctly. In short, everyone should objectively analyze the advantages and disadvantages, not blindly accept or reject.
How to identify genetically modified food?
organic food is in accordance with strict production requirements, without any additives such as pesticides, fertilizers, preservatives, and does not use genetic engineering products. Generally speaking, organic food certified by formal institutions does not contain genetically modified ingredients. However, due to the low yield and high price of organic food, it has not been widely used.
identification of common genetically modified food
1. There is no traditional vegetables uneven shape, uniform size, generally long, bright color, fresh texture, the most easily confused vegetables are cucumber, eggplant, Luffa, onion and so on.
2. There is no taste of traditional original tunnel. No matter before or after cooking, the taste of transgenic vegetables is obviously different from that of traditional vegetables, such as sweet pepper.
3. Vegetables not produced locally or in season. All kinds of vegetables generally have strong regional and seasonal characteristics. Those vegetables that are neither produced in the local season nor imported are generally genetically modified vegetables.
How to identify genetically modified food
1; Flooding & quot; The soybean planted in Northeast China is likely to be genetically modified.
2. Look at the logo: see if there is a genetically modified logo on the product package. Generally speaking, genetically modified edible oil products have relevant labels.
3. Look at varieties: genetically modified foods generally have fixed names, such as & lt; Xianyu 335 & quot; Maize is a typical transgenic maize.
4. Other identification methods
(1) when buying fruits, especially imported fruits, you need to pay attention to the information on the label. There are four Arabic numerals in the middle of each label, and the first three words indicate that the pesticide has been sprayed; The first four words are genetically modified fruits; Five words begin with hybrid fruit.
(2) most of the tomatoes and papayas in supermarkets are genetically modified foods. In terms of safety and quality, the fruits on individual fruit stands are better than those in supermarkets.
(3) corn is the earliest, widest and most widely used genetically modified food, so we must be careful when buying corn.
(4) there is no possibility of transgenic millet, oat, buckwheat, sorghum and other food crops.
tips: many crops will produce different varieties due to different planting time and region. This kind of food is especially easy to be confused with genetically modified food. But if we only rely on the apparent shape to distinguish, it is quite one-sided. In addition, I believe that everyone wants to eat healthy, whether you recognize genetically modified food or not, you need to maintain good eating habits.